Formation of the Club started in the early Spring of 1966, when territory was ceded by The Rotary Club of Newport. The number of proposed members was to be 30 and by the summer, this had been achieved and the Inaugural Luncheon was held at the Belle Vue Hotel, Stow Park Avenue in the October.
The Founder president was Geoffrey Andrews, Vice-president Kerry Evans and Secretary Alan Anderton.
The Club was chartered in January 1967, No.1035 and the strength and friendship between Club members were soon established, becoming involved in the ideals and pursuits of Rotary. The formation of the Club was under the supervision of the District Extension Officer, Past District Governor Reg. Pickett of The Rotary Club of Cardiff East, who took a great interest in the Club and was nominated as the Club's first Honorary Member.
The Club is involved with many local charities. Our Grand Draw helps local charities raise almost £20,000 a year. We are very active on the International scene, having supported projects in India, Bolivia, Africa and Colombia (See our Facebook page for photos). We have been involved with the Disabled Sports programme and the latest venture, our Caring for Young Carers Project has taken off on a national basis and has brought great credit to our Club.
The future of the Club is assured with a current membership of 37; all members look forward to active involvement in the community for the future.